Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A girl and her dog.

Bringing Charlotte home to meet Dexter, the GIANT dog was very nerve wracking.  While I was in the hospital for days, Adam snuck out blankets and onesies that she was wrapped in and wearing.  Every time he came home to let the dog out he had one with him to let Dexter smell them.  Fortunately we now have extra blankets to swaddle her in as well as some extra shirts that cover her hands up (don't tell the hospital) :)

Well the day came and Dexter did GREAT.  We brought her in the House in car seat and sat her on the dining room chair, which is right as his level.  He sniffed and sniffed and sniffed.  He licked her feet.  He kept looking at us then back at her.  It was like he knew she belonged in the family. 


Due to the C-Section and not having a bathroom on our main level, I set up shop in the bedroom.  In the early days Dex & Adam spent their days downstairs hanging out taking care of things and me so that I could take care of the little one.  Every time she cried and fussed he would RUN up the stairs and wait outside the bedroom door until she stopped.  Needless to say it was adorable. 




As we got more comfortable with having her around Dex (NEVER unsupervised, I am no baby expert and no dog expert, but I'm pretty sure I would never leave any baby around any dog) Anyway, he now spends his days hanging out with me and Charlotte all day.  When we lay in bed, napping and feeding (which I would estimate to be 50% of our days currently lol) he lays with us.  When I'm downstairs cleaning and cooking and doing her never ending dirty laundry he is laying next to her in her swing. I recently gave him a new bone and he went and left it on her swing she was sleeping in for her to have.  It was very cute. 

The three of us go on walks everyday and he has been doing great! Every time we encounter another human on our path he always puts his nose in her stroller to make sure she is ok before they pass us and after they pass us.  He gets concerned when people other then Adam and myself pick her up.  He is protective and clearly loves his new baby.

I hope that he loves her just as much when she gets older and pulls on his tail and dresses him up in princess garb.  We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Babies who grow up with pets usually have fewer allergies and don't get sick as often. Glad Dex is being a good "big brother."

    ReplyDelete