Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sleep when she sleeps.

I don't know who started passing out the "you have to sleep when she sleeps" advice, but whoever made that up either never had kids or completely forgot what it was like to live with a newborn.  Especially a breastfeeding newborn. 

This tiny peanut wants to eat every two to three hours.  Feeding takes an hour, then you have to rock her back to sleep.  Then you have to fall asleep, at that point your lucky if you get twenty minutes, tops. 

Now that she is six weeks old (happy six week old birthday today Char!) she stays awake more often and has more regular sleeping patterns.  Which should make the theory work.  It still does not work, because now I just have piles of laundry staring at me, dinner to cook, a house to clean, showers to take and a dog to walk.  Now when she sleeps all I can think about is how long will she be down so I can get something done. 

Slowly but surely the house is becoming less of a disaster zone.  I will be honest, since she is sleeping in the pack and play bassinet next to the bed, all of her clean laundry is in her crib.  Because she only has a limited amount of clothes that fit her small self right now I'm stuck doing her laundry every few days, so I just dump it in her crib and take what I need when I need it.  But other then that the house isn't too bad.  I am also getting used to less sleep, because I can rest during the day.  I hope that she gets to become a better sleeper when I go back to work in six weeks, otherwise I don't think that I will be any good to anyone.

My sleeping angel.

Everyday we get more and more into a routine, but rarely does this routine involve naps for me.  I will try not to tell new mothers to sleep when they sleep, because it is a load of shit to be quite honest.  Unless you do not wish to eat yourself, have a maid, a cook and a dog walker and never wish to shower yourself it is very hard to do. The most annoying part of this advice (and keep this in mind when talking to a new mother who is exhausted, recovering from a csection and trying to keep her house together) is that when people ask how I am doing, I say tired, but well, which is the truth, everyone single person responds with "well sleep when she sleeps" as if no one, including my doctor, has not told me that.  Next person that tells me this advice is going to get it.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I hated that advice, too. It's a great plan in theory, but I'm pretty sure NO new mom has ever actually followed it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated that advice, too. It's a great plan in theory, but I'm pretty sure NO new mom has ever actually followed it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it sounds awesome, I mean I'd love to be sleeping when shes a sleep, it just never works out that way lol

    ReplyDelete