Sunday, July 22, 2012

Welcome to the World!

I propably should have started this blog a long time ago, but I have learned having a newborn makes it quite difficult to get things done. This is the story of life with Charlotte. I hope that it helps us document her growing up as well as keep family and friends who can't always be around involved in her life. I feel like I should first start with Charlotte's birth story.

  On June 13th 2012, I was getting dressed for work. I had taken a shower and put on my makeup and was just about to blowdry my hair when my phone rang. Seeing it was the doctor I answered. My doctor was on vacation, and it was the doctor filling in. She said she got the lab results of my 24 hour urine test back and told me I had high protein levels and asked that I come in to the office. So before work I stopped by the office.

At my doctors office I was informed that due to my ongoing high blood pressure and protein in my urine, I had preeclampsia. Since my due date was only a week away the doctor made the decision to induce me THAT day! After she told me I would be inducded I headed into work to clean off my desk (it was a mess!), wrap things up and change my voicemail and email to say I would be out of the office until September! I left work early that day and decided to get a pedicure and head home to pack and relax. Adam left work early and met me at home and then we drove to St. Agnes. At six pm we were all checked in and the induction process started. I did not progress well overnight on the cervadil, but in the morning they let me eat some rice krispies and started the pitocin drip. I eventually ended up with an epidural and we waited things out. Two hours after the epidural I was having intense pain again and felt like pushing. The doctor checked. I was almost fully dialated, but she instructed me NOT to push because the baby had flipped over and was breach.

The doctor told me I was going to have a C-Section. They threw some clothes at Adam, told him to change and that they would be back to get him in ten minutes. In those ten minutes they drugged me up and moved me to the OR. Adam soon came in the OR to joine me and I felt pulling and tugging on my stomach, and what felt like only a minute later, I heard crying, and then a nurse brought me Charlotte, and she was PERFECT.

At 1:41 pm on 6/14 Charlotte entered the world weighing 5lbs 6.8oz and 18inches long, everyone was thrilled to meet her. Her birth did NOT go as planned. I was bummed that we did not get to follow the birth plan and upset that I would be in the hospital for longer then expected and have a longer recovery, but everytime I see her face I am so excited to be with her, that none of it matters and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. We left the hospital on June 18th and Charlotte was able to come to her house and meet her puppy Dexter. Since then it has been a wild ride already!

No comments:

Post a Comment