Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sick Baby

I don't think that anyone fully prepares a first time mom for what it feels like when your baby is sick.  Charlotte was only three weeks old when she got her first cold.  First I had a cold, then Adam got it from me and then of course Charlotte got a cold.  Her nose was so stuffy and she was having trouble breathing, no fever thank goodness.  I took her to the doctor which was actually scary and hard in and of itself. 

The C-Section made everything MORE difficult and painful.  First, it is really hard to get out of the house on time with a newborn, I imagine this task will become more difficult when she gets older and can scoot and walk away from me.  Three weeks after having major surgery makes it hard to carry things and walk up stairs. 

Of course her doctor is on the second floor, and the elevator was broken.  Why is it SO HARD to carry those stupid car seat things?! I feel like after all this time they could have invented a better way. 

Basically, by the time I get to the doctor's I am having a nervous breakdown.  I have been up for hours with a fussy sick baby, I'm afraid something is seriously wrong and have imagined every possible illness and now I m in physical pain.  Anyway, she of course just had a simple cold and I had to give her saline spray and suction out her nose frequently.  But it was so scary.  I had no idea what to do, and I hated to know that she was uncomfortable. 

The second time she was sick involved projectile vomitting, and that was much harder.  Two days ago, poor baby was fussy ALL day, constantly crying, especially if I put her down and constantly spitting up milk.  She & I went over to visit her GG so that I could get out of the house and have some help with the baby.

While at GG's Charlotte began to projectile vomit.  Little did I know a baby so small could do so much.  We were both laying in GG's bed attempting to nap, and I was awoken by the sound and woke to see a stream of milk shooting UP and then back down all over her crying face.  I SCREAMED until my mom came to my rescue. 

This went on for hours.  Finally her tummy was able to be settled and she was able to sleep. 

This was the scariest moment of my life.  My poor baby looked like she was in so much pain and there was NOTHING I could do to help her.  It was awful.  She is doing much better and is her adorable self, but I can not describe how scary it was to see your own child in distress. 

This does not bode well for my future.  I hope that seeing your child sick or hurt gets easier, I know she will have colds and flus and chicken pox.  I know that boys will break her heart and she will cry and she will fight with her friends and need someone to listen, I know people will let her down and disapoint her, but everytime she cries or hurts, my heart breaks.  I really hope it gets easier. 

I love this little peanut!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's not just me, I thought carrying that car seat was uncomfortable and awkward too! Sorry to hear that Char was sick again, poor baby, it is so hard when they can't tell you what hurts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't get easier. Heads up: this whole next year of her being in daycare will be HELL. She will be sick almost constantly. However!!!! After a year, her immune system will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete