Friday, March 29, 2013

How to hard boil an egg...

Easter is here! Charlotte and I decided to spend our Friday night dying eggs.  Best Friday night ever. I know Charlotte is young, and won't remember the exact moments, but she will see pictures and hear stories, and I want to make every day special and fun, and the holidays even more exciting for her.  I hope every year we get to do these special things together!

So, to dye eggs, you have to hard boil the eggs.  I hate eggs. I think they are gross.  I clearly have no idea how to do this.  So I started with google and FB friends idea.  It seemed like a lot of work and a lot of monitoring them on the stove, also I was unclear what specific pan was a sauce pan.  So I quit that idea and moved on to pinterest.  This is where I found out you can hard boil eggs in the oven! I think it worked well...I won't know until someone eats one haha!

What I found on pinterest is put them in a muffin tin so they don't roll around.  Bake at 325 degrees for thirty minutes then put in ice water for ten minutes.  I used a mini muffin pan to minimize all rolling.  I think it worked well, but like I said, someone will have to eat one to be the judge!

Well after they were baked not boiled, I set up all our colors on the table and got ready to go.  I stripped down Lotte to her diaper and the fun began! She had a blast with the eggs.  They were small enough for her little hands to hold, and she loved throwing them in the color cups.  She watched intently as I pulled them out and exclaimed at their new color and cracked up everytime I said "wow, look at this one it's pink (or whatever color haha)".  We did have two tragedies.  First, when I was transferring eggs from the muffin tin to the ice water, I dropped one.  You will see it below in the picture.  I used that one to cut it open to ensure the insides were cooked haha.  The other tragedy was on egg that Charlotte threw on the ground.  She loves to throw things these days, especially from heights.  This was the first egg, before she was aware they were to go in the solo cups filled with fun colors haha!

Despite the two tragedies we had fun! She laughed and giggled, and loved to touch and feel the new textures! It was immediately followed by a bath, story and bedtime! I am excited for the rest of the holiday weekend, each day is a blessing with Charlotte. 

Ready for the Oven:
 
I can help too mom! 
 
Look at me standing! 
 
I will help by eating this cookie: 
 
YUM!

 
The ice bath, and the inside of the tragedy egg: 
 
Ready to go! 












No comments:

Post a Comment